Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Bi Problem.


Ok... so I noticed something this week that came out of those dark halls I woke up in one night late a few weeks ago. I think I realized this deep down before that... but I never consciously noticed the connection until now.

My admittance of and being bisexual has caused a lot of problems in my life. What I don't get is why in many instances, because it doesn't change how I am in my relationships. Anyway, on to the list...
1) My first boyfriend, who I thought was it for me forever, couldn't handle it at all. It was a large part of our breakup, though certainly not all of it. It sucked.
2) My desire to have 3somes and my second boyfriend's acceptance of this in words but not fact really messed up our relationship too. It emasculated him. I turned into a jealous lovelorn shrew over his and Q's relationship (she was my first woman and them wanting to be together without me involved when he and I were living together and serious about things was... painful to say the least, they eventually had sex behind my back). She will hate me forever for the stupid things I both said and did. He might too. Not that either of them is worth heartache, but still. This was the darkest personal chapter of my life so far due to how I acted.
3) I have had several men angry at me because Q and SS slept with me rather than them. In fact, I've lost friends over it. I feel like the group of friends we were all connected with believed me to be morally corrupt due to my sexual proclivities. (They sure condemned me without evidence fast enough and now I retain a whopping 2 out of 20 of them as friends - those 2 barely talk to me.)
4) When one girl discovered my sexuality here at school, the commentary on possibly sleeping with me never ended until she left 2 years later. In fact, she told her boyfriend and it got weirder than weird. He hounded me to seduce her whenever he was in town. Gross. She also turned out to be fairly open with others about MY sexuality. That led to further odd moments and weirdness with people in our department, people we would meet, and parties I attended. I have wondered what could have been different these past 2.5 years had she not caught me drooling over a gorgeous blonde one night.
5) My bisexuality caused a lot of my attitude with my department to shift to 'nothing' on the all or nothing involvement scale. Part of that was from when I overheard a condemnation of our cohort's token gay guy. I just can't approve of people speaking in their graduate office about how someone's going to hell for his preferences and then giggling about it in a group - "at least he's nice", they said. No thanks. Plus my sexuality eventually became known to most if not all of them, yeah, underline the no thanks and add an exclamation point. I don't need people like that in my life beyond a professional level.
6) With a budding friend her man found out I was bi and immediately wanted to talk to me about how to get his girl to have a 3some. I attempted to persuade him out of it. She decided to hate me anyway, because I talked to her boyfriend too much (um, he talked to me, but ok) and because I even talked about sex in a hypothetical way with him. My boyfriend also spazzed about this incident, because I talked about sex with another guy. Does no one understand I didn't bring it up, I never would have slept with him (hello - I'M IN A MONOGAMOUS RELATIONSHIP), and while I didn't mind the conversation it was purely hypothetical... I was honestly just trying to help.
7) This also influenced my 'break-up' with Officechick E, I am sure of it. She considered a 3some with her and her now-fiance, but decided she'd be too jealous. Nevermind the fact that I wouldn't have done it, she didn't even ask that question. That wasn't the big deal - but #4 & 6 were good friends of hers, and they + her boy's opinion of me after he vented about her to me = no more friendship.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm flattered when couples want to sleep with me - I choose to take it as a compliment on my attractiveness. I also am happy when someone either figures it out (that means they're open to people having alternate sexualities, yay!) and accepts it, or is told by me and does the same (hooray tolerance!). These times afford me such wonderful opportunities to tell people about it as well, if they want to know. It allows me to explain that sexuality is not a choice (which I of course firmly believe) and to talk about sexuality issues sometimes - all of which are very nice things I heartily enjoy.

Still - do you see between these stories the underlying assumption all of these people made about me? That somehow my being a bisexual means I'll sleep with anyone, just about anytime. They always seem to assume it's their decision whether I will sleep with them or not, even when the decision is about them and their partner. All I have to say to that is: WHAT THE FUCK? Since when did my sexual orientation mean I don't have morals? Values? Standards? Rules for myself?? Seriously. When I am in a committed monogamous relationship it means the exact same thing as when any of them are. I just don't get it.

So the real question is: Is it them making these assumptions? Or me projecting something? Does my commitmentphobia make me come across in a way I don't mean to?

I wish that's what it was, but I doubt it.

4 comments:

  1. Weird. I would never have thought that bisexuality could actually be a problem... I don't think I've dated that many girls who WEREN'T bisexual (or, at least, claimed to be.)

    I guess whenever you involve other people, it tends to get messy. And jealousy is a weird thing. I remember resenting one girlfriend because she'd had a threesome with her best friend and her previous boyfriend, but wouldn't with me.

    But in the end, I think that was my malfunction - and from the examples you've listed, I think it was largely the other people being dumb about it and nothing you did wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah, can I blame the girls who 'claim' to be bi for the issues I have with others? :) Some of them seem to give the rest of us a bad name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Biphobia is a huge problem, because it is experienced from both the straight community and the LGBT community. Many bi folks get pegged as slutty, open for business, can't make up their mind.

    My friend identifies as queer. And she is one of the most intelligent queer women I've met (she writes letsblogaboutsex.blogspot.com). And she has a boyfriend. And has experience much biphobia from queer women...as if "queer" some how means only same-sex, same-gender pairings.

    I choose to identify as queer because bisexual was...well...too binary for me. But people are still shocked when I make out with a guy here and there.

    I'm sorry you've experienced so many issues, but thank you for being true to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For most people, sex is inextricably linked to ego. Having you sexually means you have chosen me over all other people, and that makes me feel good.

    A bisexual can never be exclusive, by definition. A bisexual needs lovers of both sexes (at least one) to achieve fulfillment. Not many people can handle the truth that they cannot fulfill all your needs.

    Mix that with the prejudice against the sexually active and curious (i.e., threats to monogamous relationships), and it's obvious why bisexuals become pariahs in the eyes of most people who don't see them as easy pathways to a threesome. Which is yet another problem.

    There are open-minded people out there who will accept your need and give you the space you have to have to explore relationships with others. You might find some interesting guidance in the polyamory Internet groups.

    ReplyDelete