Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Hallucinogenics arrrrrrrr fun?

So I am not a drug person. Birth control, caffeine, alcohol (occasionally), tylenol, that's about it for me.... I don't mind too much if others do it but I like them to keep it away from me. I've never tried anything, and don't feel the least bit deprived by that. I'm aware I have an addictive personality, and they're illegal, and my past family experiences tell me they take you out of control of yourself. That's just not interesting to me.

However, my sleep problems have reached epic proportions this year, and I finally decided to turn to medication for help. The latest drug they gave me was Ambien CR, specifically for insomnia. The first few nights were awesome. I already felt the anxiety receding and the depression dying by the second day on the med. I felt like me. I had energy again, I was dynamic, and funny, and liked my life again. It was GREAT. It doesn't knock me out, but it does keep me asleep which is what I need the most help with. The last time I checked how often I wake up in a night it's once an hour, usually MORE. (It's weird to me to sleep 8 hours though, I feel like my day is over when I get up.) I didn't take it this weekend, so I could drink. I slept terrible the first night and the second I was so tired I slept a little bit, but not well. Sunday I was so excited to take it again, and sleep well again. So I took it that night... but I had forgotten to eat dinner, so I had a little bit to eat right before bed (my therapist told me not to go to bed hungry). Within 10 minutes that night of taking the med, I felt wrong. It felt like the room was moving, I could tell my speech was impaired.... I thought this was funny. So I went to bed (at SP's house of course) and the bed promptly became a pirate ship. Complete with pirates, and a kraken off in the ocean, menacing us. The ocean was rocking the ship, the kraken would approach and recede, and the pirates were all around (none of them looked like that photo above though, DAMN IT). I have had lots of hallucinations before during bouts of sleep paralysis, they were always realistic and I could never move... but I knew what was up. So it was cracking me up, I kept giggling, and in my head I was saying "You're in SP's bed, you're hallucinating, there is no ocean, there is no boat, there are no pirates and no monster. " I was totally fine with it, so fine I had crazy sex I don't remember a moment of. SP had no idea I was hallucinating, he said I was gigglier than normal but that was it. Nice, hahaha. At some point I passed out, and woke up almost 10 hours later. I got in the car to go home, was so hungry I had to stop at 10 am for chinese, then hit a trash can pulling into my drive (I have never EVER hit anything like that before).... then ran into the doorframe as I walked into my place. Both of which I found hilarious, side-splittingly funny, at the time. I ate the Chinese and passed out again on the couch. I only realized how messed up I had been when I came to a couple hours later. The drug had receded from my system... and my brain was back to being mine. Hell of a trip.

Apparently, food is a trigger. A very small percentage (around 1% I think) of people have this reaction to this med, but still.... my therapist telling me to not go to bed hungry??? Bad idea. She knew what I was on, haha, even if she wasn't a doctor... she could have looked this info up or asked one as easily as I did.... We're all lucky the only thing I knocked over was a trash can. I think no matter what I did it would have been funny to me.

1 comment:

  1. found you through smart girl's blog...and you are long winded, but pleasantly so. keep up the good work, I'm enjoying reading what you write. and you're the only blogger I've come to lately who lists the Jacqueline Carey books as a fave...I'm still in the first book.

    ReplyDelete