Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Art on my skin....

I love art. Adore it with every fiber of my being. I once spent over 6 hours oblivious to the world in a tiny Dali exhibit, just because I couldn't tear myself away. Needless to say, my boyfriend at the time never went to a museum with me again, lol.

Now, for an art lover, what could be better than art on your skin?? Art that you can take ANYWHERE with you? All the time?!? And show people you want?? Well, to me it sounds like a happy and wonderful idea.

Here's the problem: I'm intensely thoughtful and ofttimes mercurial. I want it to mean something, I'd like to also be able to see at least my first one whenever I want, but I need it to be appropriate for the conservative corporate world also.

My favorite places for one on my body: Wrists, below the breast or on the ribs, collarbone, hipbone, back (between the shoulder blades), feet, and ankles. In that order. So I think I'll have to let the artist decide based on what idea I go with. I'm petite with a small chest, but an hourglass shape.

My favorite ideas:
- Abstract flowing lines, asymmetrically placed on only one side of my torso, beginning on the side of my breast and curling around the lower half of it to flow down my side to my hipbone
- Words. I love words so much. First I'd have to pick what they say...
Defy your Fear (my own personal motto for years now, I really try to do this in my life as much as I can, I wish I could get this on the inside of my wrist!!! In fact I could save this one for when I am established in my career and can get one there....)
Or maybe: "These violent delights have violent ends" - Romeo and Juliet (though not my favorite Shakespearian play....)
Maybe even something Lewis Carroll, I don't know.....
- Artistic rendering of a Compass Rose (you know, the directional thingie on a map). I'd like it to be twisty, like tree branches, or something a little abstract, and then have the N line be a paintbrush. If I did this somewhere on it could be a blotch that is actually a kitty paw for my darling that died last year.

I'm not sure how involved I want my first one to be, or how personal. Plus which one I get affects where it goes.... Check out the placement of these deviantART tats:
Below breast
Ribs
Collarbone
Hipbone

Just some food for thought, I'm getting more and more serious about doing this. Maybe for my birthday in a month or so and I wanted to record my current thoughts about it somewhere for later review. So here they are!!! I'd likely go semi-far from home to have it done by an artist I had recommended to me that works at a great shop: 13 roses tattoo!

2 comments:

  1. I'm generally in the same boat as you about wanting tattoos to mean something. At the same time, I've realized that what they can mean can simply be that you find them beautiful. As you said, you appreciate art for art's sake, so why wouldn't you put something beautiful on your body to make your body even more beautiful. My tattoos have fast become my favorite parts of my body.

    As for placement, those are definitely some of my favorites. I have one on my foot, and one on my back (soon to be expanded to a full back piece). I actually adore the one on my foot, because it's easy to see and I think the artist did a fabulous job with the words - I just gave him the letters and he made them art.

    So I guess basically, my advice is to go with whatever FEELS right, and don't worry too much about whether it means enough or not. Chances are, if you like the design (which, obviously, don't get it if you don't, hehe), you'll love having it on your body and appreciating it for its own sake is plenty meaningful in itself.

    p.s. here's a shot of the one on my foot - so you can see what words look like there. (It says "Tivoli") :)
    https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo25/aa/69/de694e6c0184.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sasha! I really believe I'll feel the same way once I get one. I'll love it, and I'll love that part of my body more. That may be one reason why I keep coming back to the abstract line idea down the side of my torso. It could even serve as a reminder of self-love for that most troublesome of my body parts, lol. Plus, it eliminates me needing to decide on an intense design, or word choice for a quote! Thank you for sharing your foot! It's so pretty and makes a delicate area seem lovelier. I have no idea what Tivoli means, but I am sure you do. !

    ReplyDelete