Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Thoughts on touch.

This blog made me laugh a little, and reminded me of my own weekly discomfort lately. I'm very tactile, and I don't like to be touched by people I don't know and like. I'm ok with lots of hugs, flirty touching, etc. from friends and those I know and like... but I don't even really like to high five those I don't know. It might be strange, but it's just how I am. It makes me feel uncomfortable.

So each week I've been bowling in a league this summer. It's something I've never done: competed in a team. It's a sport I am capable of, and it's something I was interested in trying doing, since I'm self-professed non-competitive and I feel I am only self-motivated when it comes to achievement. That has proved pretty true. I only berate myself for what I want to achieve, typical perfectionism. I get sad when I did really well but the team still lost. I have gotten a little more competitive though, and it might be good for me. Who knows, it could sharpen my ambition.

Here's the touch thing: We're a good team, we're good sports. We support and berate one another and coach each other when needed. We actually have an awesome dynamic I think. We high five a lot, dance around, and generally make sure it stays fun. So we tend to get the other team into it with us. They see it, they want to participate. Everyone we've played says how much fun it is to play against us, and clearly enjoyed the experience. So, when we get a strike, they want to high five us too. They want to pat us on the back, fist bump, whatever. Then they get a little more into it and by the end of the first game they're complimenting each other and wanting high fives etc. when they do well too. I have to say, I really like that our team spirit and enjoyment of the game is contagious, BUT I HATE having to high five all these strangers, and having them all hold their hands out to me when I do well. I turn around now from a strike, all glowy and happy and then silently groan in my head as they all hold their hands out. And I'm too much of a polite southern girl to say a damn thing. So I plaster a smile on and go do it, I avoid as many hands as I can by taking a sip of water when someone comes by wanting their fives, etc. I still say, nice shot, or good roll, or some other such bowling nonsense though. Ugh.

Now, it's no penis touching, but it's still icky to me. At least penises in clubs aren't skin to skin with you. Like hands. People's hands are not clean.... ewwww. I do want to close this with the fact that I also hate that new trend of aggression in clubs. I went out on a girls' night not too long ago, and I had to forcefully extricate myself several times when someone was too physically aggressive with their pelvis or got too handsy. I hate that. Especially because I didn't invite ANYONE to dance with me. I'm fine dancing alone. Or next to someone, interacting with them in that way, it's way super fun and can be just as sexy. I'm short and small, if a guy actually wants me to like him he should take that into account. I don't want to be physically intimidated on the dance floor, I like to be dominated but not until you respectfully get my permission to do it. Then it's on, but only then.

No comments:

Post a Comment